I managed to complete my first sewing project EVER where I didn’t have to rip out seams. Yay! I think I actually do better without a pattern. I was inspired by Raina’s Pillowcase Apron Tutorial over at Crafster. It seemed like a fairly easy DIY even for a sewing n00b like me and I like the idea of recycling something into a completely new and different type of thing.
Of course, it wouldn’t be a yiddle project if I didn’t make a few changes.
I picked the pillowcase up at a thrift store. Thrift stores, estate sales and garage sales are great places to pick up old linens. I don’t think it’s exactly vintage, but daisies are my favorite flower so it caught my eye. I followed Raina’s instructions for the most part, but I excluded the pocket flaps. I only did one pocket and embellished it with a ruffle made from some green fabric I already had on hand. I used the same green fabric to add trim to the bottom edge and the waist and ties. I also added a couple darts to make it a bit more feminine.
I am still not a measure-twice-cut-once kind of girl. I didn’t measure anything, I just eyeballed. But I DID do ***LOT*** of pinning and ironing and I think that made all the difference. It’s not perfect, but I am really happy with it and already have ideas for improvements on the next one.
If you liked this post, here are a few books you might enjoy: